Saturday, September 10, 2016

Moisturizers, Creams, Lotions, Balms ..So Many Choices!

One thing is for sure, living in the desert the “dry” heat we face every day can unknowingly take its toll on our delicate skin. Hydration is an easily overlooked beauty necessity and to maintain the plump, youthful look we desire, we can’t overlook it!

So, what to do about it? The answer seems simple enough. Drinking water is certainly a start. If you’re like me however, I still tend to forget and I’ve found it’s not always enough. Adding a topical moisturizer is helpful, yet finding the perfect one to complement your complexion can be challenging!

Lotions, creams, serums, and beauty balms. You can spend 3.00 for Pond's cold cream that’s been around since I was a girl…and that's a long time! Or, you can buy the tiny promise of “youth in a jar” from a department store for hundreds. Decisions, decisions!

Some guarantee results, claiming years off your appearance. Others have fancy ingredients like gold and diamond particles, but I'm unsure if fanciness means results!

Can these products turn back the clock 10 years, or is it just good marketing? Personally, I like more proof before spending so much on anything.

So what about drug store brands? Reading the labels is enough to put you to sleep. The claims are amazing, but the ingredients are undiscernible and the results seem similar.

Some moisturizers work for awhile, then aren’t as effective, leading me to another. I will say good ‘ole Ponds has come through for me. It’s a bit oily, but I find occasionally I need that, especially around the eyes. As a bonus it smells nice and reminds me of my Nana. She used it as her “beauty secret” and passed away at 94 with hardly a wrinkle!

Still, I haven’t found one that’s been life changing. So what's the answer? I think trial and error. The only way to know if something works for you is to test it. You can read reviews and ask friends, just keep in mind your own skin and body is constantly changing. What might be great for one person, may not be for you. 

Luckily, with more expensive brands, you can often ask for a sample first. And drug store pricing allows for personal testing to see what works best, without the guilt of spending money on something that may not work. And, if you don't love it, use it as an all over body moisturizer!

The most important advice I have is if you’re going to test various brands be sure to buy direct from the manufacturer, or a reputable store. Buying cosmetics online can be dangerous as they can easily be counterfeited. The FBI has warnings of the toxic ingredients they contain. It’s becoming increasingly more difficult to discern what’s real, as counterfeiters often list and sell on popular sites right under the manufacturer’s name. My own product is a perfect example, toxic counterfeits are being sold out of China. I manufacture in the USA for safety, as many others do now. So please, be aware of what you are putting on your beautiful faces!


Stay cool, hydrated and well moisturized this summer! And if you do happen to find youth in jar, let me know! Meanwhile, feel free to write me with any suggestions, I love hearing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment